- News Home
5 December 2013 11:26 am ,
Vol. 342 ,
Researchers have been hot on the trail of the elusive Denisovans, a type of ancient human known only by their DNA and...
Thousands of scientists in the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) are about to lose their jobs as a result of the...
Dyslexia, a learning disability that hinders reading, hasn't been associated with deficits in vision, hearing, or...
Exotic, elusive, and dangerous, snakes have fascinated humankind for millennia. They can be hard to find, yet their...
Researchers have sequenced and analyzed the first two snake genomes, which represent two evolutionary extremes. The...
Snake venoms are remarkably complex mixtures that can stun or kill prey within minutes. But more and more researchers...
At age 30, Dutch biologist Freek Vonk has built up a respectable career as a snake scientist. But in his home country,...
Since arriving on the island of Guam in the 1940s, the brown tree snake ( Boiga irregularis ) has extirpated native...
- 5 December 2013 11:26 am , Vol. 342 , #6163
- About Us
Mercury Poisoning Kills Lab Chemist
11 June 1997 (All day)
In a tragic end to a story that began last summer, an internationally known research chemist at Dartmouth College, Karen Wetterhahn, died on Sunday of poisoning from a few drops of a potent neurotoxin she spilled on her lab glove 10 months ago. She was 48.
Wetterhahn studied the effects of heavy metals on living organisms. The accident occurred last August when she was attempting to measure the nuclear magnetic resonance spectrum of dimethyl mercury, which is used as a reference material for other toxic compounds. "She was taking what any of us would have considered prudent and reasonable precautions," says John Winn, head of the Dartmouth chemistry department. She used a hood to protect herself from fumes and was wearing a face shield and latex gloves when she spilled a drop or so of the colorless, highly volatile compound. It apparently passed through the glove almost instantly. "I don't think any of us recognized" that the compound was so penetrating, says Winn.
Wetterhahn reportedly did not regard the incident as serious at the time. But 5 months later, she began having trouble with balance, speech, vision, and hearing. She was hospitalized and on 28 January was diagnosed with mercury poisoning. Her blood levels were 80 times higher than the standard threshold for toxicity. Three weeks later, she went into a coma.
Dimethyl mercury, first synthesized in 1865, easily penetrates biological membranes and, in humans, turns into methyl mercury--a former crop fumigant. The World Health Organization outlawed the chemical for use as a fungicide in 1974 after an episode in which it killed 600 people in Iraq. Despite its sinister nature, this is only the fourth lab death associated with the compound.
Winn says accepted lab procedures call for the use of gloves in handling dimethyl mercury, but don't necessarily specify what kind. So last month, in a letter in the 11 May Chemical & Engineering News, he and two colleagues warned that latex gloves are "not suitable for significant, direct contact with aggressive or highly toxic chemicals" and recommended that two pairs of gloves, one of them laminated, be worn. In addition, says Winn, "We're trying to urge the chemical community to establish a safer substitute."