From: SCCAST

Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 11:39 AM

Subject: Moving On

It's time for me to move on!

Now that the new DOE leadership team is taking shape, I am writing to let you know I will be moving on. My last day at DOE will be Friday, April 12. Between now and then, I will be transitioning and taking some personal time and will be away from the office much of the time between March 22 and April 12. As I leave office, my biggest concern remains the erosion of science funding in the United States when most of the industrialized countries of the world are increasing funding.

When I came to DOE, I started with a principle that I have used when I changed positions in the past, namely, that I should assume that all the people in my organization are good at their jobs. There is no question that the staff in SC has lived up to that initial expectation. We have made some changes but, overall, I believe SC is a very sound organization today.

So what did we accomplish? Actually a lot. Many new, exciting scientific advances have occurred: the first X-ray FEL, the Higgs particle was discovered, strongly enhanced use of simulation in materials science, discovery of new aspects of the nature of the quark-gluon plasma, and a host of new results on possible energy technologies have been discovered, to mention just a few. ITER has a new leadership team in place and construction is well on its way. Overall, our international collaborations have increased and we have sharpened our focus on making these strategically important.

Probably the largest changes have occurred in our approach to science relevant to energy technologies. The Energy Frontier Research Centers, two hubs, and the biofuels centers are established and are working effectively. I believe we have made considerable progress in getting our climate program integrated into the broader US government effort and I look forward to the next IPCC report in which our modeling will surely play a major role. We have established "tech teams" to coordinate applied and basic science activities in technology areas important to the DOE energy mission that, I believe, will continue to have an important role, as they already have, in fostering funding opportunity announcements that are collaborative among the applied and basic science offices.

On the lab management side much has changed. We have a new, strong leadership team in place that is making many changes. The processing of grants through our Chicago office has been greatly improved and is much more user friendly than in the past, the organization at Oak Ridge has been moved forward more toward what we expect of a service center, and several new site office leaders have been appointed. It continues to be important to exploit modern communications and data systems to improve operational effectiveness and we are on a path to consolidate IT functions as an important element of this strategy.

I congratulate the PAMS team for the dedication and leadership they have shown in making PAMS a reality. In our internal SC headquarters organization, we have recruited new leadership for and have greatly improved our public relations and human resources organizations.

The national laboratories have grown stronger over the last four years. The multipurpose labs are not only doing excellent science but also are broadening their impact on the country through increasing coupling to American industry and greater involvement in national security. We continue to manage these laboratories through our annual strategic plan reviews and the grading system, which has received praise from within the Department and in external reviews. We have made careful judgments on whether to renew or compete lab contracts and have been successful in a number of cases.

I look forward to interacting with many of you as a function of time and wish the entire organization and all of DOE great success.

Sincerely,

Dr. W. F. Brinkman

Director, Office of Science

Posted in People & Events, Policy